Shropshire Handyperson Service which is part-funded by Shropshire Council, operates throughout the large county of Shropshire, providing older or vulnerable people with a trustworthy, reliable and affordable service carrying out small jobs around the home. We tackle a host of tasks that you are unable to do yourself and which builders either won’t take on or, if they do, make high charges for their services. There is only a minimal charge of £15 + VAT per hour (£18) plus the cost of any materials.
All our employees are Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checked so you have peace of mind and complete trust in the people that come into your home. We always make appointments before visiting and carry photographic identification.
- Minor joinery
- Minor plumbing work – mending leaking taps, cistern washers and ball valves
- Fitting key safes, locks and security chains
- Fitting curtain rails
- Fitting smoke alarms, carbon monoxide detectors and sensory equipment
- Fitting grab rails and stair rails
- Draught proofing
- Changing lightbulbs and batteries in alarms – batteries are replaced free of charge
- Installing or repairing ramps, pathways, steps and walls
- Fixing shelving and assembling flat pack furniture
- Moving furniture (within a property)
As part of the Shropshire Handyperson Service we offer a Free Home Safety Check which includes:
- Doors and Windows: Looking at security – locks, catches, bolts, chains, viewers, check keysafes, check insulation.
- Emergency Exits: Discuss emergency plan in case of fire.
- Alarm and Detectors: Fire, carbon monoxide and gas – are they working properly, do they need new batteries? We will fit new batteries FREE
- Small Electrical Appliances: General electrical advice – loose or frayed wires, trailing leads, check lighting and socket overload.
- Plumbing: Check for dripping taps and cisterns. Is a Sure Stop valve fitted?
- Trips, Falls and General: Check steps, dark areas and slip hazards, is there a bedside phone with emergency numbers, is there a keysafe?
- Handrails and Grabrails: Are these needed to help with steps and in bathrooms?
Our aim is to reduce slips trips, falls and accidents within the home and to improve home security. We work closely with the Falls Prevention Team and are active members of the Shropshire Falls Champion group.