Mears worked in partnership with Bolton Council and HB Villages to build and develop ‘The Hollies,’ a supported housing scheme.
The facility has 24 self-contained one bedroom flats. In one block there are 8 self-contained one bedroom flats for severely autistic residents and provided specialist supported living close to amenities, leisure and employment, specifically for adults with learning disabilities.
The scheme allows vulnerable adults to have their own independence in a safe environment that feels like a home. The facility provides personalised care where the Local Authority will assess and design a personal care plan around individual’s needs.
Planning and Delivery
- Early access to the site was gained to commence an extensive site clearance and remediation of contaminated site including fly tipping.
- Reduced level excavation and forming of retaining structures to suit the new site levels providing a level site for ease of work.
- Design and construction of supported independent living accommodation, including staff and communal areas.
- The two-storey buildings are to be constructed of brick and block, with timber slated roof.
- Design team with a wealth of experience are working on a new pumped drainage solution along with S278 alteration works to existing highway.
What were the outcomes?
The Hollies now delivers supported accommodation for adults with learning disabilities to assist them in living independently whilst being part of a supportive community. It is a thoughtfully designed and innovative scheme, offering a dedicated 24-hour care service alongside full accommodation management.
The scheme is spread across 2 buildings. The smaller building of 8 flats is reserved for adults with severe autism. The building with 16 flats is occupied by adults with learning disabilities.
The care support at The Hollies, is provided by Bolton Care who are onsite 24 hours a day. Each client is provided with a unique care plan tailored to their needs and wants. The Hollies has a dedicated specialist team with experience in managing high input care needs, applying the latest in assistive technology to ensure residents are receiving the care they need in an environment that is both a community and a home.
Mears Living provide a full-time caretaker who works closely with the care team attending to minor repairs, keeping the grounds and buildings clean and safe for residents and staff. Mears Living also provides tenancy management services in rent collecting, moving people in and out, raising repairs and carrying out property inspections.