There are significant opportunities in the structurally growing field of carbon reduction, which will be complementary to the services already provided by Mears. The requirement to decarbonise an ageing housing stock, especially in affordable housing, is accelerating in the current environment given the significant increases in energy costs, and the agenda to meet the Government’s targets of achieving net zero by 2050.
- The DREam software enables Mears to develop intelligent retrofit plans for our clients swiftly, which means we can reduce the energy bills of vulnerable clients much more quickly
- By introducing this data-led solution, we are strengthening our carbon reduction offer with in-house expertise and capacity on stock modelling and Thermal imaging
- The DREam software helps enable our clients access funding to get works done
Executive Director Alan Long commented:
“Mears is pleased to announce the acquisition of IRT which means we now have the in-house capacity to develop intelligent retrofit plans for our clients whilst meaning we can assess the carbon reduction needs of any new properties entering our management portfolio.
“The technology from IRT was used to win three contracts under the Social Housing Decarbonisation Fund earlier this year, highlighting that this is a tested formula for successful future bids with our clients.
“With IRT joining the Mears team, we are combining two companies with more than 50 years’ experience in their respective markets whilst boosting the Mears presence as one of the UK’s experts in carbon reduction.”
CEO of IRT, Stewart Little said:
“IRT is delighted to become part of the Mears family and we look forward to working collaboratively with clients to accelerate their net zero journey. Together, IRT and Mears are able to take clients through the entire retrofit process from start to finish – that’s something unique in the market today”.
Headquartered in Dundee, IRT provides a range of data-led services focussed on driving energy efficiency, decarbonisation, and broader asset management activities. IRT has developed over several years a proprietary technology platform (‘DREam’), which aims to simplify and accelerate the retrofit journey, by assessing energy performance of housing portfolios, optimise budgets and provide recommendations on the most efficient way to complete fit outs, with a focus on the affordable housing sector.
IRT is well-known in the sector, with in excess of 30 Registered Provider clients spanning the UK and has surveyed more than 350,000 domestic properties. IRT will continue to service existing IRT clients. In addition, IRT has an active sales pipeline underpinning its growth forecast, which will be enhanced further upon joining the Group.
Having the innovative IRT platform is a vital part of the Group’s retrofit solution and will enable Mears to conduct stock analysis modelling for carbon reduction work, enabling opportunities to be progressed quickly, and to help identify and access grant funding support available. The acquisition will provide Mears with new skills and capabilities in this area, bringing new expertise in-house, supporting pre-sales activity and helping to unlock the Group’s ability to deliver carbon retrofit work, which is identified to be a significant market. We welcome Alan and Stewart Little, who are the Directors of IRT, along with their staff.
IRT Surveys - Synopsis
- IRT DREam is an automated energy auditing platform from IRT Surveys Ltd
- The platform uses algorithms to impartially optimise budgets and accelerate the retrofit journey on behalf of clients within the social housing sector
- IRT Surveys Ltd provide a range of additional services to the sector, primarily focussed around energy services, heat loss surveys and broader asset management activities.
- The company was formed around 20 years ago and have had several rounds of investment to develop the platform.
Mears is one of the UK’s leading housing solutions providers to both the public and private sector.
With more than 5,500 employees, we work with clients to help develop, fund and implement innovative housing solutions - we are the largest provider of repairs and maintenance, and regeneration services across the UK.
We are a highly responsible partner, who is committed to; delivering the highest levels of customer service, keeping our promises, creating a great place to work, and tackling issues that matter to people and communities.
To see an example of Mears’ work in this space please visit our ESG website here