In order to meet the challenge for net zero the Government has rightly understood that this can only be achieved by unlocking the potential of our public sector and social housing estate.
As a provider of housing management and maintenance services, Mears can be a source of positive influence in our sector with landlords, tenants and supply chain partners. Mears commitments are reflected in fact that taking steps to preserve a Healthy Planet represents one of our key corporate social value objectives.
Mearswill be appointing to a new strategic position a Head of Carbon Reduction – a role which will provide solutions for our clients as well as to fast-track and cement our own ambitions as a leader in carbon reduction in the housing sector.
Alan Long, Executive Director of Mears said:
“The Chancellor’s focus on warmer homes and buildings is a crucial step forward to meet net zero. Central Government will need to harness all of the support of social housing providers and I know they will stand ready to play their part. As the largest provider of repairs and maintenance in the UK Mears looks forward to supporting this task which will see the development of new skills and new people learning new trades.
“These measures taken with commitments on funding for local government, social care and the whole levelling up agenda show that the Chancellor has navigated the worst public finances of our time. This announcement is a pledge to invest in the long-term growth of our country by developing the right industries, skills and housing for our people after such a tumultuous year.”
Mears’ ambition is reflected in our Environmental Procurement Policy, which sets outour commitments to:
- Interrogate the environmental and sustainability policies of all supply chain partners to ensure their approach mirrors that of ours and our clients
- Demand and assess granular data on product lifecycles as part of our procurement of materials and services
- Actively seek to review our policies, operational practices and employee reward strategies in relation to fleet
- Actively seek to incorporate environmental standards into all contracts we agree with landlords in our delivery of PRS schemes for key workers, key workers, homeless people and asylum seekers
- Work with the Carbon Trust to undertake environmental impact assessments, identify opportunities for carbon emission reduction and asses appropriate offsetting mechanisms.