Mears also confirms Masooma Ahmed as the new Deputy Employee Director who will support Claire in her new role.
As the Employee Director, Claire will be able to ensure that our Board gets full, open and honest insights and views from our workforce on how strategic initiatives are being implemented.
Equally, it encourages colleagues, through the Employee Director, to gain a better understanding of how the Board works.
The Employee Director’s key responsibilities are to:
- Actively participate in Board meetings, ensuring that all employee interests across the Group are properly advanced, reflected and represented
- Actively promote, support and encourage the Mears values and culture
- Actively promote and participate in initiatives to generate ideas to improve the business
- Understand the business agenda and how it impacts the interests of employees
- Become a champion for new people initiatives introduced to the company
- Act as a focal point for employees who wish to contribute to the business of the Board
- Explain the work of the Board to employees and promote opportunities for employees to be involved indecision-making locally.
Claire is delighted to become the new Mears Employee Director and can’t wait to get stuck into the role. She said:
Employees are a key stakeholder in any business and Mears prides itself on valuing its employees as its greatest asset.
"I believe my experience within Mears and outside of the Group will help me understand the contracts and interpret the ethos, processes and procedures of Group as well understand and appreciate the challenges faced both by our office and frontline colleagues.
"I am also fortunate and delighted to be working with Masooma who will be an invaluable support especially from an Operations and Customer Success perspective.
"Covid-19 has disrupted us all with significant changes on a national level and to our everyday lives.
"Everything has changed - the way we work, the way we communicate, interact and support each other and it’s important that I hear from our colleagues of what is working and what we can do better.
"It is also crucial that we look after ourselves during these challenging times and I’m so proud of the work that Mears is doing in the area of Mental Health Awareness. I am currently part of the Mental Health Steering Group and look forward to continuing my involvement to help drive the mental health and well-being initiative in the business."
Deputy Employee Director, Masooma Ahmed, said, “I am delighted to be appointed as the Deputy employee director to support Claire. Claire and I have very similar ideas and the same passion for how we plan to deliver in our roles, and I’m excited to see how this will grow.”
Alan Long, Mears Executive Director, said:
“In the 30 years in which Mears has been in business, the best ideas have always come from the workforce. We are proud to be a truly inclusive business and representative of our workforce views and ideas and the important decisions made by the Board is as good as it can be.
Our people are our greatest asset and we are proud of our track-record of developing people from very junior roles in the organisation into the most senior ones, and long may that continue.
“I wish Claire and Masooma the very best in their new roles.”